Made Great in Britain
The new manufacturing and assembly plant in Newton Aycliffe, County Durham is being developed to support the DfT-led Intercity Express Programme and future Hitachi Rail projects. The decision to manufacture and assemble rolling stock at these premises is a fundamental building block in Hitachi Rail’s strategy for growth.
- 900+ new jobs created, including skilled and semiskilled technical roles for apprentices and graduates
- 35 vehicles can be manufactured each month
- Production capability includes: high-speed trains, commuter trains and metro trains
- Research & development facility and test track on site
- £82 million investment, plant fully owned by Hitachi Rail Limited
- 2017: first trains from the factory entered service on the Great Western Main Line
- Our trains will be manufactured in the UK for use across the UK and Europe
- Hitachi land/site = 31.5 acres/127,500m2
- Building footprint = 44,000m2
- 1.1km test track adjacent with 25kVa power supply
- Photovoltaic/Solar panel installation: 3772No or 6500m2 PV modules = 265w/PV module
- 2000t of structural steel = 77,700 components
- 370,000m2 of sub soil and natural rock relocated, but not removed from site
- 16,000m2 concrete placed
- 8,260m2 cladding
A total of 866 Class 800/801 train carriages will be built at the Newton Aycliffe site, destined to run on the East Coast Main Line from 2019 (and the Great Western Main Line from 2017). The trains have been ordered by the Department of Transport for its Intercity Express Programme (IEP), which will see Agility Trains (a consortium of Hitachi and John Laing) finance, deliver and subsequently maintain the trains for 27.5 years.
Hitachi Rail is also contracted as the supplier of trains to Abellio’s ScotRail programme. The majority of the 70 AT200 commuter trains (46 three-car trains and 24 four-car trains) will be built at Newton Aycliffe.
Join the Newton Aycliffe team
This is a time of unprecedented growth for the company. As an employer, Hitachi Rail Limited is therefore looking for team players who will embrace the organisation’s vision of being a highly respected train manufacturer, whose impact is felt across the UK, European and global rail industry. Hitachi Rail is looking for candidates with the right attitude and values; professional experience does not need to be drawn from the rail sector.
Delivery will be at the heart of the success of the Newton Aycliffe plant and accordingly, Hitachi Rail values employees who are passionate about delivering on the company’s promises. One of the ways it does this is by putting the values of harmony, sincerity and pioneering spirit at the centre of everything it does. Put simply, this means the organisation strives to create a nurturing and welcoming environment, in which all employees communicate clearly with one another and show ambition and fortitude in solving problems. If this sounds like the right fit for you, the team at Hitachi Rail Europe would be delighted to see you and answer any questions you may have. To view current vacancies and apply, please visit our careers page.